Self Employed

Working as a freelancer or sole trader in the UK, you are legally obliged to report your earnings to HMRC, including the amount you have spent to make those earnings.

A self assessment tax return form must be completed and submitted each year to HMRC for this purpose. On this form, you can claim expenses such as mobile phone calls, travel costs and those associated with using your residential space as an office etc.

Even though our online software makes it super-easy to file tax return yourself, if you need assistance, Our qualified accountants possess thorough sole trader and freelancer tax expertise. They will discuss your individual situation in great depth and detail, clearly explaining all expenses that you can claim and will walk you through every fine point of filing your tax return so that you can keep your tax liability as low as possible.

Furthermore, it should be noted that there are many different expenses you can claim as a sole trader when submitting your yearly self assessment tax return. These expenses can cut down any profit you have made.

Depending on the kind of business you own, you may be able to claim some or all of the following expenses:

  • Wages and staffing costs
  • Advertising
  • Rent
  • Business equipment
  • Recruitment costs
  • Home office use
  • Protective clothing
  • Repairs and maintenance of all business property and equipment
  • Business travel either in your private car or public transport
  • Training courses
  • Business insurance

This is not a comprehensive list, however – our tax experts will bring you up to speed on what you can claim and how to stay on top of all HMRC tax filing requirements for self-employed individuals.

Self Employed